View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 12:16 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
kj3880

I think that the best solution would be childcare at meetings, having had children, that would be what I would want if they were little. I know some people think I'm paranoid, but I'm not sure some understand the stigma that drug addiction has in certain jobs. People who work in elementary schools, military intel, prisons, police, and medical professionals are fired all the time when drug addiction is discovered. To some people, a juicy piece of gossip they heard from a friend of a friend who has a child in my meeting would be just something fun to talk about. They might not understand the implications for me and my teenage son, who has a mental disorder that would make him suffer greatly from increased anxiety if he got attention at school from my problem. He doesn't need that type of trouble now, he has enough problems. I'm glad I have a variety of meetings to go to, and I appreciate some of the thoughtful responses this topic has generated. I'd never want any alcoholic or addict to go without a meeting on my account, I'd leave so they would get to stay with their kids. I can't wait for the day I can retire so this isn't an issue any in my life anymore. Then I'm sure I'll feel less stressed and more happy to see the kids. And yes, in my original post, I wasn't referring to infants, they can't even gossip yet, or be bothered by the "rough talk" or cussing that sometimes occurs. And they are easily carried out when they cry. Neither was I referring to fellow alcoholics who are in their teens. They've earned their seat, and I expect them to be responsible with anonymity and other rules of behavior. I was talking about maybe elememtary school age kids, ones that can speak in complete sentences but aren't old enough to trust with secrets. Gosh, when mine were that age, they'd tell my family what their Christmas gifts were, down to the color sweater I'd bought them, and my son used to tell my Mom if I was dating someone. So I know they can't usually keep a juicy secret. Maybe your kids are just quieter about stuff then mine were??? I still wouldn't trust my 16 year old at a meeting, even if he knew about me, I know for a fact that he would "tell on" other parents there. He's a born gossip.
kj