View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 03:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Tazman53
Follow Directions!

I have shed a few tears reading this whole thread. A few thoughts to ponder because I have.

Alcoholism is a family disease, are those who would consider denying a parent to bring a well behaved child practicing our code of Love and tolerance?

Bill W. said and I totally agree that the most important person in a meeting is the newcomer, would one be working the 12th step right if they did not find a way to allow a newcomer to attend meetings with a child?

I have seen more then one crusty old timer entertaining the children of newcomers and walking the hall with a cranky baby to where mom could stay a sober mom, these folks are walking the walk and not talking the talk!

Is not part of the result of the program escaping self and becoming part of the world?

Are not children a part of the world?

I am not saying that parents should not make every effort to control thier children, but if the parent is a newcomer should those of us with more solid sobriety not be reaching out the hand of AA and helping them in thier recovery by simply giving those parents with children a hand?

We can get up in the middle of the night, meet with another person, drive to a wet drunks house, talk with the wet drunk for hours and then take the wet drunk to detox and at the same time find it inconveniant to help the same person who later on shows up at a meeting with a kid or 2 in tow with a single hour of our time?