View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
needtolearn

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
In her book "Getting Them Sober" Volume 4-Separation Decisions Toby Rice Drews makes the observation that many therapists come from dysfunctional backgrounds and their advice for families of alcoholics/addicts can be very suspect. Since the book addresses your particular situation you might want to obtain a copy, unfortunately you might have to order it online, wasn't able to find a bookstore that stocked it.
Bless you, and you know, I've often thought to myself that very thing; although psycho-therapy is a very good thing, you REALLY have to wonder about the personalities that practice it.

I mean, who would REALLY want to deal with the emotionally, or mentally challenged, except if the therapist was either working out their own demons, or they were extremely manipulative personalities, or a combo of both.

I've learned through this very painful lesson, that I've got to calibrate my boundaries, even with therapist. They aren't my friends, they are human beings, STRANGERS that are simply educated to help me help myself. I've got to watch what I reveal, and not put them on a pedestal, just because they have "50 letters behind their name" (LOL). They, like any other human being, have to earn my trust.