Thread: new here
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Astro
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by woa View Post
He doesn't have any interest is being affectionate with me in the tiniest degree, he says it's because he just quit, and that it's normal. Is it?
He didn't go to a formal recovery program, he just up and stopped cold turkey, joined a new gym and is spending hours a day there, saying that is his recovery, which I hope. Now, I wonder, how do the rest of us recover? I can't go to alanon, too many kids, no babysitter. What now? whats next?
Welcome to SR, I hope you find the answers and support you're looking for in the Friends And Family forums. There are so many good people here!

I'll share my experience with a few things, please remember it's just my
experience.

In early sobriety my ex was demanding a divorce, so she wasn't looking for affection anyway. But I do remember that it was the furthest thing from my mind. I was numb from the shock of detoxing and the reality of what was happening to my life. Try to understand that an alcoholic who truly desires sobriety needs to stay focused on their recovery for a long time before they're able to deal with the emotions that come with a healthy relationship.

Have you called about Al-Anon meetings in your area or tried going to a meeting? I only ask because the one I attended in my area had a place for children to play, and even a couple older kids to keep an eye on them. Some Al-Anon meetings can be understanding and sensitive about your situation with the children and they might offer child care during the meetings. It's worth checking out.

What I do want to mention is that stopping cold turkey never worked very long for me. A week or two at most, then I drank again, usually harder than I left off. AA and the 12 Steps were a necessity for my recovery, that continues on a daily basis if I want to stay sober. I know there are other forms of recovery and programs out there, I hope your husband finds something that works for him. Exercise or any kind of distraction can certainly be helpful.

Again, welcome! I think this is a great place to work on your recovery.