View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rose56

Post am I really anonomous?

Hi all. Last Sat I went to an Alanon meeting, this was the second time I had attended this meeting. The meeting was good, but afterwards a woman came up to me and said "I think you know my ex-husband". She told me her husband's name and I didn't recognise it. Then as we were talking, I realized that he probably knew my husband from the biker bar that he goes to. She said that her husband mentioned my name as someone he hung out with. My name is unusual so this bothered me. I had only been to the bar a couple of times. Then I went to the restroom and another woman said "Do I know you?" I said I dont think so. She said she spoke with someone on the phone with my name and she thought it must be me.
So what, you are thinking. Well this bothered me. I felt like I wasn't anonomous anymore. I have been thinking about the personal nature of the things that are shared in these meetings and I felt like maybe it wasn't safe. I never felt this way about the Thurs meeting I attend. How do I know that the people that attend the meeting keep what is said in the meeting confidential?