View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
least
bona fido dog-lover

One thing that helps me, and I'm starting at day twelve of sobriety to have cravings sometimes, is to read a list of all the things I hate about drinking, starting with I really don't like myself drunk. I'm not the person I want to be. Other reasons too; spending money I can't afford to spend, feeling like dirt the next day, having to start all over from day one... it's a long list and I can always think of more reasons not to drink than reasons to drink. But as was said, my cravings don't last forever, even tho it may feel that way, and that if I do something else they will go away. I choose to walk my dogs when I have a craving or feel crappy about myself. (my dogs will probably resent it when I no longer have cravings cause they love the extra walks!)

Just remember, this too shall pass. And as was also said, you have to want to stop drinking more than you want to drink. So remind yourself of why you don't want to drink. TAke a walk. Take a shower. Call a friend.

You can do this, but don't fight it. RAther admit that you are powerless over alcohol and you choose not to fight something stronger than yourself, a fight you can't win.

:ghug3