Thread: So Mad
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
keepthefaith

Lita -

You go girl!!! Don't listen to him -- addicts lie and lie and lie, and they rarely take the blame for THEIR addiction, unless they hit bottom and are serious about recovery. I know, I lived with one for 18 years and he ended up dying because he lied about using and he couldn't admit the severity of his addiction. Until the addict takes a good hard look at themselves, admits they are powerless over their addiction and quits blaming everyone else for the mess they got themselves into, they will never be healthy and you are so right in not letting him see his daughter until he is cleaned up.

Remember, you are your daughter's protector and it's up to you to keep her safe, even if that means staying away from her father. My 13 year old knew about her dad's drug problem for years and she was afraid to be around him if she suspected he was high....she couldn't understand why I kept taking him back time after time - I thought I was doing the right thing in keeping the family together, but now when I look back on it, I realize I was doing her a big dis-service. I was being more worried about the addict and how he felt, than protecting myself and my daughter. Living with an addict can be so time-consuming, everything else takes a back seat- even your child.

Ignore his crap talk -- don't let him get to you. You made a good decision and life will be better without him around and all the craziness that goes with the addicted lifestyle. Trust me, I know that now. I never have wished my husband dead, but it happened and I have to deal with a new reality. But this reality is going to be okay because the chaos and craziness of living with an addict is no longer part of it.

Hang tough - you're on the right road.