Old 05-20-2008, 05:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
serenityqueen
Attitude of Gratitude

((((To All Moms))))

As many of you know, I have a long history of drug and alcohol abuse. By the Grace of God and determination on my part, I can proudly say that as of today, I have 2 years, 10 months and 25 days in Recovery.

There are a couple of reasons I feel so strongly about sharing this with you. First of all, please don't give up on your kids. I began using when I was only 11 and used for 32 years so you can only imagine the living hell I put my Mom through. I would like to remind you that no matter how much you want to fix them, make it all better, you can't. This isn't like the skinned knee that you could kiss and make better. It's not like the the high fevers that Tylenol and only a Momma's love can bring back down to normal. If only it were that simple. No matter how much shame I brought on to my Mom, she always reminded me that she did love me and that she never gave up hope. She did all kinds of things to try to help, she was a Mom. But please know that all that anyone can honestly do is to Pray, offer support as far as helping with Recovery issues and set boundaries that you will keep. And make sure you keep the consequences of actions that you set into play. My Mom, through all of her love, would set boundaries and then, when I broke them, she didn't keep her word as to the consequences of my behaviors. I lied, stole, cheated, did everything to my Mom when I was using. If you aren't an addict/alcoholic yourself, you cannot imagine the strength of this disease. This disease told me that it was the only one who understood me, it would take care of me, it would love me when I couldn't love myself. And then, it had me so tight in it's grasp that there was no way of breaking free until I had reached my bottom. Mom would ask me many times,"Haven't you learned your lesson yet?" It's not about lessons.

Addiction is a Disease.

Please remember that, no matter what happens as a result of your child's addiction, they never meant to cause you any pain, worry or fear for their safety.

Even though they may act tough, inside, they are the scared child that cried out in the dark when having a bad dream. Only you can't wake them from this nightmare.

You can only Pray.

Let Go and Let God

God Bless and Prayers for the Safe Physical, Mental, Emotional and Spiritual Return of Your Children,
Judy