View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up Religion & Sobriety

I took one week to detox and by the second week I could get from home to a meeting but didn't really understand what really was going on at the meetings yet.

I do not mix God with my recovery...I have my own individual way of dealing with my Spritualism. I attended AA a long time and now do most of my AA here at Sober Recovery...or I should say...I do daily what I need to do to continue to stay sober with interaction with other sober people and sharing my experience, strength, and hope that I have gained and still work for on a daily basis.

I have been sober continuously since July 10, 1988. I wanted to be sober more than anything else in my life and I worked hard to stay sober. It was much easier to get sober but to stay sober one day after another was a constant job. I really didn't worry about the Big Book Thumpers or the God people...I worked with my sponsor and did the steps as best I could with her help.

I went to AA to share my views and experiences with the different topics that were chosen to discuss. I only took away what I knew would help me and even some of the negatives I would hear at a meeting would help me.

The Serenity Prayer was my most valuable tool and that prayer does happen to be in the Bible in a longer version.

This prayer helped me decide what I could or couldn't change about my life and what was happening around me. I wasted so many years worrying about things that I could not change no matter what I did. The frustration would come and then the drink would come...the drink never did solve a problem for me...it just carried it over to the next day.

I am not disagreeing with what you said in your post. I am just saying how it was for me. It took me a long time to put everything in the right order in my head to work for me. And it continues to work for me.

kelsh