Old 05-08-2008, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
queenteree
Recovering Nicely

A few weeks ago when we were at the dr. and the dr. told him the 6 mos to a year, dr. also told him (and me) a story about one of his patients, in drs. words "quite similar to your situation" (meaning AH's situation), said patient kept drinking and not heeding the drs. advice, finally the guy stroked out and was in ICU then had to have a walker, then finally found sobriety, but because he pushed his luck, he had damaged so many of his organs. Dr. told me later that the man died anyway (after he was sober), damage was too far gone, but didn't want to tell AH that. I love my dr., but I don't think he will go into details w/me about it. He just always says if he doesn't stop, he's gonna die and it won't be pretty. He likes me to concentrate on me (which is good), and in his opinion, he said if AH didn't check himself into detox and long term rehab he doesn't stand a chance. Even last week when I went to dr. for myself, he asked about AH, if he stopped drinking/went to rehab. I told him it was 2 weeks he stopped, dr. said "that you know of" and said he needed some kind of program. Also said, "if he did stop, he's right on the cusp, without help, he'll be drinking by this weekend" and you know what, dr. was right, he was!