Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
NoelleR

What is wet brain ---
Dr. James West, Betty Ford Center

"Good question. The term wet brain refers to a very real condition known as Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. This chronic brain syndrome is caused by long-term alcoholism and is accompanied by a triad of symptoms: 1) mental disturbance; 2) confusion, drowsiness and paralysis of eye movements; and 3) ataxia or a staggering gait. A primary cause for this is a thiamine (vitamin B1) deficiency due to severe malnutrition and poor intestinal absorption of food and vitamins caused by alcohol. The person with wet brain acts much like the Alzheimer’s victim with loss of recent memory, disorientation with regard to time and place, confusion and confabulation, or telling imagined and untrue experiences as truth. If wet brain is identified in its early onset, an infusion of thiamine (B1) may help. Unfortunately, there is no recovery from Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. Therefore, it is one of the most tragic consequences of alcoholism."

I thought I'd put this definition up for you...as I am not a doctor....In this definition of wet brain it mentions the similarity to Alzheimers/dimentia, and this is what first struck me.....your H sounds just like my mother in the last years before her death; she suffered from dimentia and aphasia (not being able to grasp the right words)....and she always got ticked off when this was happening to her (so she knew, but couldn't help herself.....grrrrr)

Since I am not a doctor, my suggestion to you would be, call your doctor and describe what's happening....I know your H probably won't want to go and see the doctor, but the doctor may be able to help you, and you are the most important person to you right now...................... (o:

NoeleR