View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TigerLili

Originally Posted by drukore View Post
You're not everyone else now are you?
First off, I would HIGHLY suggest just simply NOT going to work functions for a long while. Look....you have a disease, like we all do. Your work is not going to accomidate you and your problem, because everyone else is gonna wanna booze it up...knowing this, and knowing your safety and sobriety ALWAYS comes first, supporting work functions of this nature isn't in your best interest. And if your boss asks why you won't go, TELL THEM. I've spend 2 years getting in peoples faces at work.....because really, "Man, I really need a beer after work" isn't workplace conversation but you hear it all the time right? I've told people time after time bringing stuff like that up around people who have drinking issues at work is not work appropriate, etc.

You might have to ditch bars, clubs and work functions for a while. That is a reality. Hang tough.
Unfortunately it's my job to organise a number of these events and functions so not going would mean not doing my job. The ones I don't organise I'm still expected to attend along with the rest of my team.

It does occur to me that I could do more to encourage non-drinking so I'm going to extend the beverage selection to an exotic range of non-alcoholic beverages. I'm also going to have the drink waiters offer mineral water as well as wine/champagne.