View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
drukore

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post
How do you not drink when everyone else is?

You're not everyone else now are you?

When I first started my path of sobriety, I was a club MC that was ALWAYS at bars and clubs. It was a part of my life that was huge.....but the more clean I became the more I realized that was not the life I wanted to be around.

First off, I would HIGHLY suggest just simply NOT going to work functions for a long while. Look....you have a disease, like we all do. Your work is not going to accomidate you and your problem, because everyone else is gonna wanna booze it up...knowing this, and knowing your safety and sobriety ALWAYS comes first, supporting work functions of this nature isn't in your best interest. And if your boss asks why you won't go, TELL THEM. I've spend 2 years getting in peoples faces at work.....because really, "Man, I really need a beer after work" isn't workplace conversation but you hear it all the time right? I've told people time after time bringing stuff like that up around people who have drinking issues at work is not work appropriate, etc.

You might have to ditch bars, clubs and work functions for a while. That is a reality. Hang tough.