View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 08:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

Codie me in a restaurant!

I have found a place where I am still ~ apparently ~ incredibly and outrageously codependent : in a restaurant!

Norm ( you know, my 'normal' BF) and I went out to eat tonight.We sat at the bar because the wait was going to be too dang long to get a table. We each ordered a drink, and then a meal. His burger came out all wrong. He ordered it with mushrooms and onions and other stuff on it, and it came out totally plain - just a piece of meat and a bun! They brought out my steak and potato at the same time. Norm sent his burger back since it was wrong.... and we waited... and waited. Finally someone came by and I said we were still waiting and now my food was cold. They took my steak and potato back and said I would get new and fresh food when his was ready. And it took a really long time for it to come. Ultimately the manager came by and apologized and said he would pay for our meal. When we were ready to leave, it took them at least 15 minutes to come by and get the credit card to run the payment for the drinks we had.

LONG story short - I guess I still accept unacceptable behavior from restaurants. I found myself making excuses for the waitstaff as well as the cooks... Oh, they must be really busy... those things happen... The manager came by and Norm told him what was going on, and there I was saying "oh its fine, it's not a big deal" and Norm was saying yes it IS a big deal.

ME. Ms. CatsPajamas whose very signature line says What Other People Think of Me is Really None of My Business - well there I was, all worried about those poor restaurant people who were obviously having a fit.

It's been a humbling and frustrating evening. Made for some lively dialogue between Norm and myself. I've had to stop myself TWICE from going back to the restaurant to apologize... and there is nothing to apologize for.

Sigh. Back to Step One. I admitted I was powerless ...