View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

More thoughts on forgiveness

This was the "Today's thought from Hazelden"

One forgives to the degree that one loves.
--La Rochefoucauld

We all get hurt by other people sometimes. When this happens, we have choices. We can get angry and stay that way. We can act like it didn't hurt and try to forget it. We can act like a sad sack and hold a grudge. Or we can forgive.

We first have to think about how someone hurt us. It often helps to talk to the person, to tell the person that he or she hurt us. We then tell the person what we'd like from him or her to help set our relationship straight. Then we let go.

This is what forgiveness is: (1) loving ourselves enough to stand up for ourselves, (2) loving others enough to point out their behavior, and (3) letting go.

Prayer for the Day
Higher Power, help me lovingly forgive those who have hurt me.

Action for the Day
I will list five persons who have hurt me. Have I forgiven them? I will talk to my sponsor about it today.

==========================

This has given me some things to think about. I struggle with the idea of forgiveness as I don't want to feel as though I am judging someone else.

This is what forgiveness is: (1) loving ourselves enough to stand up for ourselves, (2) loving others enough to point out their behavior, and (3) letting go.
That is a terrific way to look at forgiveness. That takes the idea of judgment out of the equation entirely, and puts it in the perspective of LOVE for ourselves and others.

It's about love and boundaries. And that works for me.