Thread: arguments
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
warrens

MSH

I too have that book on my shelf. I bought it several years ago to ADD to my toolbox.

You know, I was never able to get to the real message because of his trashing of AA throughout. A program that has helped millions.

I surmised that his "market" is dependent on taking as large a share of the treatment pie as he could. He seems to prefer cutting his slice and removing it from the pan.

I prefer the process of addition to subtraction. Inclusion as opposed to exclusion. While I don't mind when someone has issues with AA, to dismiss it as harmful is ludicrous, I think. Apple is too smart to dismiss Microsoft, as Microsoft software runs on most of their computers.

Success begets success. I was hoping for something that added to my toolbox, not one that took tools away. But it is a familiar and common tactic. Like the shamans who sell "throw everything you know about modern medicine away," and buy my book. Most who viciously attack AA have something to sell. AA goes out of it's way to avoid selling anything. It freely suggests that people go out and try other ways. And welcomes people back when they don't work.

I find valuable tools everywhere. I put them in my box. Use them when I need them, but the most well worn and the ones I count on time after time are the ones from AA.

warren