Thread: arguments
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
freya

msh58:

I haven't read the book you're talking about, but from what you've said I think I would find that very off-putting also.....I kinda have a pet theory about people who need to argue things even when no one is arguing with them -- which is clearly the case when someone is writing a book -- and that is: If your ideas are so great, then why "doth thou protest so much?????" It's just a real red-flag for me -- if not necessarily a red flag in regards to the ideas themselves, then definitely a red-flag in regards to the individual espousing the ideas.

I mean, if I've got great ideas, shouldn't they be able to stand on their own????? And so what if other people have other ideas????? The whole concept that there might be only one "right way" of doing recovery --even within one program/philosophy -- is kind of ludicrous...and for me as a reader, if I was reading someone's plan/program/approach and that person was obviously very hung-up on his/her being right and everyone else being wrong, I would have serious doubts about that person's emotional sobriety and, therefore, about the true effectiveness of his/her program even for him/herself, let alone for anyone else.

freya