Old 04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Bernadette

Heya Liesagain--

"Heres my question how can I explain or show him what accepting responsibility means...That just saying you do doesnt make it so..............and how can I help him understand the gravity of his choice??"

Just stick to the consequence that you set!!! By sticking to it you ARE showing him by example what accepting responsibility means!!

What kind of RESPONSIBLE mother would give in to the whiney, immature, self-serving, desperate (I have 17 & 13 yr old sons!!!) pleading of a kid who completely VIOLATED the ONE stipulation you set re: his driving??

Be patient. Do not give in. Try to keep an air of cool nonchalant inevitablity about the fact that ... oh, well, it's not negotiable. You'll get the car back when you're 18, end of story.

And tell him he has like 48 more hours to b*tch about it and then the subject is CLOSED and you do not want to hear anymore. Then put up your umbrella for 48 hours and be done with it!

Unless he wants to start adding months to that 18yr old deadline!!!

Major pat on the back to you mom. This country needs more MOTHERS like you!

I have a little ceramic plaque I found at a flea market - it hangs behind clothes in my closet where no one can see it but me -but whenever I need to I remember it and it helps - it says: "Having kids is like being pecked to death by a duck"

Hang in there!
Peace,
B.