View Single Post
Old 03-28-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jomey

Hi PB - I agree with Carol - that does sound scary! It isn't necessary to suffer through this period without the advice of a doctor.

I felt the same way you do - I started drinking (to some degree) to self medicate anxiety and I was nervous when I told the doctor that I was going to quit drinking that he would immediately suggest some anti-anxiety meds or the like. I was pleasantly surprised when he and I actually exchanged ideas about how we wanted my recovery to progress. He reminded me that I have a say in my own healthcare....just passing that reminder on to you. Not that we are to defy doctor's orders, but we can question and seek answers if we have a concern about what we are being prescribed.

Also, I was very nervous to tell my doctor how much I had been drinking. Guess what? He was not even remotely shocked - he said he had seen and heard A LOT worse, and he is still a fairly young man. So don't be worried about that aspect either. Just go and be honest.

I know it seems intimidating, but don't blow a doctor visit out of proportion. As my doctor said, to you, Jomey, coming here and telling me this is the biggest, most difficult part of your day. To me, if I am a good doctor and I am, I will concentrate on you and you alone for the time I am with you and then I will say goodbye and devote all my concentration to my next patient. And so on. I will not be thinking about it or judging you even five minutes from now. Somehow that seemed very comforting to me, and I hope it helps you as well.

Keep going!