Thread: Her "Recovery"
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The counselor asked her one question that really hit home though. "At what level do you love him?" Her response, "I love him as a person."
I am glad to see that you are seeing a counselor, but I have to wonder, how familiar this particular counselor is with alcoholism and addiction? I ask, because one that was would not even ask a question like that at this time in your wife's recovery. She doesn't know at this point what love is, if she does or doesn't love herself (probably not right now, lol) and whether she loves you or not.

Couples counseling can be a great thing, IF the counsellor is also licensed in addiction. Otherwise, in my experience it can be a detriment rather than an asset.

I really like this:

She's confident in her program, and I know that I need to really begin one (more than just a meeting now and then.)
I am very glad that you will be working on YOU. We each have to work on ourselves (as I well know from my own experience's from working with others for so many years) first and then we can work on our relationships.

Sounds to me like you are getting on track, way to go!!!

J M H O

Love and hugs,