View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Yardbird

Sometimes I also cringe when meetings close with the Lord's prayer. You can bet there are other people in most of the rooms who felt the same way at some point, and many who feel that way right now.

Most of us agnostics/atheists who stay in AA (and I believe there are a lot of us) do so for the benefits we get out of it--a huge network of other people trying to stay sober most importantly. So, even though I've had my good/bad times with AA (and must admit I've just been staying home lately), I think it's great that you plan to keep going to meetings.

If you're at all comfortable sharing at a meeting, I'd advise saying you are a newcomer, then saying (as politely as possible) that you're not comfortable with the religious elements. That's what I did, and as a direct result I found an agnostic sponsor who has helped me get my life back together. I've had long stretches of sobriety before, but nothing like this, now that I've worked the steps, staying as agnostic all the way. The truth for me is that AA is a much "easier, softer way" than trying to stay sober alone.