View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sugErspun

I am sure it varies across counties,states and countries (for that matter). AA has worldwide membership.

Not to be 'rude' - but it seems like a bit of a loaded question. But I will share a bit of my experience..

My home group - I have seen people drop cards in the basket, and heard people who have said the only reason they are their is because of a DUI they got. I did not talk to them and ask if it was court-order, or some kind of preventitive measure they were taking before getting in front of the judge. They didn't 'want' to be there, and they didn't express any desire to stop drinking so I didn't chat with them at all. It is a rare thing for a card to be placed in the basket at our home group (even for sober living people) - you see, you are gonna hear a lot about the solution - you aren't just gonna come in , listen to some humorous tales, get a card signed and walk out.

I have no opinion on whether or not courts should or should not order people to get help if they have a drinking problem.