View Single Post
Old 03-21-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FightingIrish
problem with authority

I just posted this elsewhere and then read this thread...

========
I got sober through an inpatient program and then did an outpatient one after I was released.

For me I found AA was very helpful as an adjunct to my outpatient groups. I am not trying to sell anyone on AA, and I should remember that six months ago I laughed in the face of the person who suggested that I go to AA. For me it was a practical decision because AA is everywhere and (in NYC) all the time.

I'm sure there are many legitimate reasons why AA is not the right choice for some people (I was convinced that it wasn't for me), but I have since changed my mind. Are there things I don't like about it? Sure. Are there people in AA whom I find insufferable? You bet. Does the God talk make me want to puke at times? Absolutely.

But I do find AA offers me some suggestions that, if I practice them, help keep me sober:

1. They suggest I find one person I can talk to every day (sponsor) and call no matter what is happening or when
2. They suggest I get active by helping others (group service)
3. They suggest I attend meetings and call other members to offer rides, touch base, develop a support network.
4. They suggest I cultivate the qualities of honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness.

I had a psychiatrist in rehab who was extraordinarily intelligent. I told her my doubts about AA, and she responded that AA is simply a very effective form of cognitive-behavioral therapy. And that, if it helped me, I could think about the fact that it takes 90 days for a brain cell to develop, and that certain mental habits, such as humility, relating to others, identification, have been proven to help accelerate the process of growth and development of neural pathways in the pre-frontal cortex, which is the part of the brain responsible for executive function and which is typically damaged in most addicts and alcoholics.

So, her point was, that if I am an atheist (yes), I could make my pre-frontal cortex my "higher power".

Worked for me.