Old 03-20-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
Sorry NandM, I know it's not all about me but...

are you talking about me?

Are you saying that secular and AA are mutually exclusive? And that AAers should simply stay away from this forum?

I got sober in AA. That experience is real. I consider myself a secular person. That experience is real too. I consider that AA was the single biggest catalyst for change in my life, but I don't think that all catalysts for change are AA.

I don't think - contrary to the accepted position here - that secular means anti-religion. I think and have always thought that it means pro-human. Pro-life, literally rather than politically. Pro-joy. Pro-peace.

I'm tired of being anti-.
Paul, my thread was not about you. I was simply voicing my opinion that it is not my place to judge people in the secular community. I don't know enough about their beliefs. What I do know is that what is important is recovery. That is the bottom line. When I question or put down someone else for their beliefs or interupt their threads with such things then I am not encouraging recovery I am hindering it. I feel it is important for those in the secular community to know that there are many people who work 12 step programs that are able to respect the differences in recovery programs concentrating on the similiarites rather than the differences. Just because AA works for me does not give me the right to say that someone else is wrong because their beleifs and recovery program are different than mine. The bottom line is recovery. I am happy when anyone survives the disease of addiction/alcoholism and is able to find sobriety, no matter how they find it. I am sorry that you took my post as a personal attack as it was in no way intended to be that.