Old 03-16-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

First edition reference paragraphs 21-30

Chapter 11
A Vision For You

Paragraph 21
1 But life was not easy for the two friends. 2 Plenty of difficulties presented themselves. 3 Both saw that they must keep spiritually active. 4 One day they called up the head nurse of a local hospital. 5 They explained their need and inquired if she had a first class alcoholic prospect.

Paragraph 22
1 She replied, "Yes, we've got a corker. He's just beaten up a couple of nurses. 2 Goes off his head completely when he's drinking. 3 But he's a grand chap when he's sober, though he's been in here eight times in the last six months. 4 Understand he was once a well-known lawyer in town, but just now we've got him strapped down tight." [NOTE: This refers to Bill's and Dr. Bob's first visit to A.A. Number Three. See the Pioneer Section. This resulted in A.A. first group at Akron, Ohio, in 1935.]

Paragraph 23
1 Here was a prospect all right but, by the description, none too promising. 2 The use of spiritual principles in such case was not so well understood as it is now. 3 But one of the friends said, "Put him in a private room. We'll be down."

Paragraph 24
1 Two days later, a future fellow of Alcoholics Anonymous stared glassily at the strangers beside his bed. "Who are you fellows, and why this private room? I was always in a ward before."

Paragraph 25
1 Said one of the visitors, "We're giving you a treatment for alcoholism."

Paragraph 26
1 Hopelessness was written large on the man's face as he replied, "Oh, but that's no use. 2 Nothing would fix me. 3 I'm a goner. 4 The last three times, I got drunk on the way home from here. 5 I'm afraid to go out the door. 6 I can't understand it."

Paragraph 27
1 For an hour, the two friends told him about their drinking experiences. 2 Over and over, he would say: "That's me. That's me. I drink like that."

Paragraph 28
1 The man in the bed was told of the acute poisoning from which he suffered, how it deteriorates the body of an alcoholic and warps his mind. 2 There was much talk about the mental state preceding the first drink.

Paragraph 29
1 "Yes, that' me," said the sick man, "the very image. 2 You fellows know your stuff all right, but I don't see what good it'll do. 3 You fellows are somebody. I was once, but I'm a nobody now. 4 From what you tell me, I know more than ever I can't stop." 5 At this both the visitors burst into a laugh. 6 Said the future Fellow Anonymous: "Damn little to laugh about that I can see."

Paragraph 30
1 The two friends spoke of their spiritual experience and told him about the course of action they carried out.