Old 03-16-2008, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

First edition reference paragraphs 1-10

Chapter 11
A Vision For You

Paragraph 1

1 For most normal folks, drinking means conviviality, companionship and colorful imagination. 2 It means release from care, boredom and worry. 3 It is joyous intimacy with friends and a feeling that life is good. 4 But not so with us in those last days of heavy drinking. 5 The old pleasures were gone. 6 They were but memories. 7 Never could we recapture the great moments of the past. 8 There was an insistent yearning to enjoy life as we once did and a heartbreaking obsession that some new miracle of control would enable us to do it. 9 There was always one more attempt -- and one more failure.

Paragraph 2
1 The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself. 2 As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. 3 It thickened, ever becoming blacker. 4 Some of us sought out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship and approval. 5 Momentarily we did -- then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen -- Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair. 6Unhappy drinkers who read this page will understand!

Paragraph 3
1 Now and then a serious drinker, being dry at the moment says, "I don't miss it at all. 2 Feel better. 3 Work better. 4 Having a better time." 5 As ex-problem drinkers, we smile at such a sally. 6 We know our friend is like a boy whistling in the dark to keep up his spirits. 7 He fools himself. Inwardly he would give anything to take half a dozen drinks and get away with them. 8 He will presently try the old game again, for he isn't happy about his sobriety. 9 He cannot picture life without alcohol. Some day he will be unable to imagine life either with alcohol or without it. 10 Then he will know loneliness such as few do. 11He will be at the jumping-off place. 12 He will wish for the end.

Paragraph 4
1 We have shown how we got out from under. 2 You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? 3 I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? 4 Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Paragraph 5
1 Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. 2 It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. 3There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. 4 Your imagination will be fired. 5 Life will mean something at last. 6 The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. 7 Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.

Paragraph 6
1 "How is that to come about?" you ask. 2 "Where am I to find these people?"

Paragraph 7
1 You are going to meet these new friends in your own community. 2 Near you, alcoholics are dying helplessly like people in a sinking ship. 3 If you live in a large place, there are hundreds. 4 High and low, rich and poor, these are future fellows of Alcoholics Anonymous. 5 Among them you will make lifelong friends. 6 You will be bound to them with new and wonderful ties, for you will escape disaster together and you will commence shoulder to shoulder your common journey. 7 Then you will know what it means to give of yourself that others may survive and rediscover life. 8 You will learn the full meaning of "Love thy neighbor as thyself."

Paragraph 8
1 It may seem incredible that these men are to become happy, respected, and useful once more. 2 How can they rise out of such misery, bad repute and hopelessness? 3 The practical answer is that since these things have happened among us, they can happen with you. 4 Should you wish them above all else, and be willing to make use of our experience, we are sure they will come. 5 The age of miracles is till with us. 6Our own recovery proves that!

Paragraph 9
1 Our hope is that when this chip of a book is launched on the world tide of alcoholism, defeated drinkers will seize upon it, to follow its suggestions. 2 Many, we are sure, will rise to their feet and march on. 3They will approach still other sick ones and fellowships of Alcoholics Anonymous may spring up in each city and hamlet, havens for those who must find a way out.

Paragraph 10
1 In the chapter "Working With Others" you gathered an idea of how we approach and aid others to health. 2 Suppose now that through you several families have adopted this way of life. 3 You will want to know more of how to proceed from that point. 4 Perhaps the best way of treating you to a glimpse of your future will be to describe the growth or the fellowship among us. 5 Here is a brief account: