Old 03-14-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Bugs, I respect your opinion and realize that it comes from your personal experiences. Just as my opinions are based upon my experiences.

I still believe that the amount of predators varies from group to group and ultimately depends on how the group handles them. The ones that ignore predators will attract predators. The groups that promptly make it clear the behavior will not be tolerated tend to have very few if any predators. In that respect it is no different than a church or a work place. I have run across just as many predators in both of those places as I have run across in AA.

It ultimately is the responsiblity of the group to keep the meeting a safe place for newcomers. Some meetings will not have a group conscience that realizes that this is their responsibility or even be aware that this can and some times is a problem. I have no problem being responsible not only to myself but to the newcomer. I do not tolerate that behavior in my home group and don't tolerate it around me no matter where I go. I am at a meeting to stay sober and give back what I have been given and that is the only thing I am there for.

It has been my experience that if I don't like the way a particular group is doing things I have one of two choices. I can either step up and work for change or I can sit back and complain. Only one of those actually is productive.