Old 03-14-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rowan

Like anyone new, I was fragile and vulnerable when I first started coming to meetings. One man in particular was routinely vulgar, especially so when I would leave the meeting to use the washroom. He would sit at the back, against the wall, and would waggle his tongue at me while looking me up and down. I felt victimized and frightened. Eventually, I became angry.
I was about 3 months sober when I arrived early to a closed meeting. I was sitting at a table where there about 4 other men, when this same guy walked in, and pulled a chair close to me before sitting down. He began telling me how good I looked, and he knew how to show me a good time, etc. I turned to look at him and said "back the f*ck off, little man. Talk to me like that one more time, and I'll squash you like a bug." He's about 5'5 and I'm nearly 6 feet tall. He never did that again. I still see him around, and say hello, but I give him 'the look' and I know that he remembers.
I've become a very strong advocate for other women in the rooms. I have no problem approaching a man and telling him to go help someone of his own gender, and to leave the women to help the women.
Sorry for the offensive language in this post, I just wanted to share my own experience.