Thread: Expectations
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2002, 02:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wow - I go to work and look at what I miss.

Smoke - I printed that one out. You have such a gift with words, I don't know why you're not a great author - but you sure can make me think and laugh at the same time.

And JT

I agree with you (and we could BOTH be wrong, but hey...what are the odds?), it is your day and you should get to plan it. I guess it depends on the person you are dealing with.

My son is good with the cards, but unless I suggest something he rarely does. My husband (of 33 years this July) is much better and will usually go along with my plan. But I do remind him of important dates, and I do give him a gift list at Chrismas or my birthday and am usually more thrilled if he thinks of something himself.

I remember a year ago on Mother's Day, I suggested to my husband that instead of the cut flowers he usually buys me, I would really enjoy a rosebush, or something pretty for the garden that would bloom all summer and the next year (this was before my recovery garden). I told him it didn't matter what, just something for the garden. Now get this...he bought me 7 bags of dirt. Oh not your everyday dirt dirt, but a 3-dirt variety dirt that was supposed to be good for gardens. He seriously thought that was a nice gift and that I would enjoy it My point is that his intentions were good, so I bought my own rose bush and just said "thank you honey...nice dirt".

I think they need to be reminded of the days, and told what we would like to do, and I think they shoulld respect that for "our" special days...lord knows there are few enough of them.

Just be careful that Ward doesn't buy you a battery