View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sojourner

my heart is breaking for the As dog

I forgot he took in this dog at Christmas. He's never owned a dog (he's 21), we never had one in the home when he was young. He lives in a tiny 1-bedroom apartment. He went the entire month of january with no job. Now he has no car.

3 weeks ago he got a full-time job that I bet takes him away a minimum of 10 hours a day (except weekends, but then he parties and, i assume, does not always come home).

So yesterday we'd made arrangements for me to take some paperwork to his place that he needed to sign. And i see the dog at the patio door looking for his master. I was shocked he still had the dog. So i knock on the door. He's not home, but i hear the dog whining. I've been crying ever since. I've got to get it together. I don't even like dogs all that much.

Somebody help me. Because I've not been around dogs all that much, is a dog flexible enough mentally to deal with this kind of alone-ness? I've seen dogs in my neighborhood that have been fed, watered, but basically left alone all day (either in the back yard or in the owner's house), and it seems to me they are deeply affected by the situation - but is that just my take on it? I have no reason to think that I can reason with this son about it - he will just dig in his heels and tell me i'm making a big deal out of nothing.