Thread: Trying Again
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

My parents basically did that to me as well. I stayed locked up in their basement for like 6 months. Which sounds bad, but there was a pool table and a big screen, so it wasn't a dungeon or anything. It was tough love and it worked.
It seems strange that I would say it worked even though I later had to go to aa, but I was brought up believing certain drugs were acceptable. mi vida loca.
When I went to AA, it was much easier than that. I went not only for booze but for other drugs as well, mainly weed and benzo's(like xanax, valium).
I definitely prefer the latter method. In my experience, working a 12 step program does much more for you than just taking away the obsession to use. It helps you build a life worth living while cleaning up the mess I made of my life and my relationships.
See where the NA groups meet in your area, it might be good for your wife to look into some alanon as well.
and again, let me know if I can do anything to help, and don't worry about staying clean forever, take it one day at a time.