SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - View Single Post - Trying Again
Thread: Trying Again
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
JPHartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29a View Post
Glad you made it through the weekend. I'm an alcoholic, but I also spent a few years in my early twenties addicted to coke and meth. It's not an easy thing to go through.
What worked for me, was 2-3 weeks in an inpatient treatment, followed by 6 weeks in intensive outpatient. Then, to be honest, I basically locked myself up in my parents house for the better part of 6 months. I had to stop hanging out in the same places, with the same people etc.
For alcoholism, I worked the 12 steps of AA. And let me tell you friend, it was a much easier recovery. I have not had to white knuckle it, I don't live in feer of alcohol as I did the drugs long after I had quit. The obsession was removed.

Hope this helps you make a decision. Pm me if you have any questions, and good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement. I do wish that I could go to an inpatient treatment facility but I can't because I can't be out of work that long. My wife is basically running a rehab for me in our house. She has my keys, my credit cards, everything (I am able to work from home via computer).

I bought the HBO series on Addiction over the weekend and Have watched the whole 14 hours. I found it helpful. I am talking on the phone with a friend who has been sober for 2 years. I am coming on this site to find help. I really, really, want to make it work. This is my plan for the moment but I know at some time, I will have to go out on my own and face the temptation head on. I am not strong enough today.

JPHartford
JPHartford is offline   Reply With Quote