Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
marle

I guess you could say I have become a bit of a hard*ss but...:)

My addict does not deserve to have her rehab paid by me. My money was earned from my hard work and that is where it is going to stay. My addict does not deserve to live in my house. My house is my safe haven from the world, free from chaos and that is the way it is going to stay. My addict does not deserve a life that is financed by me. She deserves a life that is made by her hard work, not mine. My addict does not deserve to be coddled by me due to some misplaced guilt about what I should have done when she was younger. I did the best that I could and I have let go of that guilt. My addict does not deserve my sympathy for choices that she has made in her life. My mom used to have a little saying that goes, "You made your bed, now lie in it." I was raised to be responsible for myself and my actions. My addict does not deserve for me to take away that right from her.

Did I become a hard*ss overnight. No I did not. It took a lot of mistakes, a lot of pain and a lot of listening to the ESH of those who came before me. If there is any message that I can give to those of you that are still feeling like you owe your addict something, it would be to really listen to those with more experience, try something different even if it brings you discomfort and trust in the process. Those baby steps do add up Hugs, Marle:codiepolice