View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 03:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sleepygoat

I say NA's 3rd Step Prayer every day:

God, take my will and my life. Guide me in my recovery. Show me how to live.

Saying it reminds me that I made a decision to live a different way. It reminds me that starting out my day full of manipulative ideas for how to control people, places, or things so that things come out the way I want them to doesn't work. Trying to stay in control of others is quite exhausting. There are so many variables. What if they do this? say that? go here instead of there? I find myself coming up with plans and contingency plans for each possibility -and then finding I can't possibly control them all.

It's probably a good thing that I'm so busy because it becomes apparent very quickly that I really don't have the time it takes to push my will all over the place. I wind up exhausted, and also feeling guilty that I neglected things that really are my responsiblity, in my pursuit of controlling things that aren't.

This is not (for me) a decision I make once. Sometimes I have to make it many times in the same day. I know it works because I have collected evidence over several years of things working out better than I ever could have planned; or things being miraculously solved when I finally let go and did nothing to make them go my way. This step requires patience and trust. It also required open-mindedness - maybe I don't have all the answers, or know how 'it' is supposed to look, or go, or be.

In spite of so much 'evidence', it is still a struggle at tiimes to Let Go and Let God. When it comes to my AD, I want what I want. I don't want her to suffer and die, and I don't want to suffer watching her suffer and die. So I remind myself, again and again, that my God is loving, caring, greater than me, and greater than the disease of addiction. I remind myself that the disease of addiction is a Power greater than both my daughter, and me, and that I can't control it anyway. So I might as well allow a loving,caring, powerful force take care of the whole problem. So that makes sense (especially after an exhausting week/day/hour/5 minutes of living in my own will) and I let go again.