View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
PaperDolls
Its_me_jen

I've taken everything on this list except for Sonata. I'm interested in that now. I wonder why Seroquel isn't on the list. Is it specifically for insomnia or is it typically used to treat something else.

Medications Used to Treat Insomnia

Listed below are some medications commonly used to treat insomnia.

Ambien: The original version of Ambien works well at helping you get to sleep, but some people tended to wake up in the middle of the night. Ambien CR is an extended release version. It helps you get to sleep within 15 to 30 minutes, and the new extended release portion helps you stay asleep. You should not take Ambien or Ambien CR unless you are able to get a full night’s sleep – at least 7 to 8 hours.
Lunesta: Lunesta also helps you fall asleep quickly, and studies show people sleep an average of 7 to 8 hours. Don’t take Lunesta unless you are able to get a full night’s sleep as it could cause grogginess.
Rozerem: This is a new sleep medication that works differently than the others. It works by targeting the sleep-wake cycle, not by causing central nervous system depression. It is prescribed for people who have difficulty falling asleep. Rozerem can be prescribed for long-term use and the medication has shown no evidence of abuse and dependence.
Sonata: Of all the new sleeping pills, Sonata stays active in the body for the shortest amount of time. That means you can try to fall asleep on your own. Then, if you're still staring at the clock at 2 a.m., you can take it without feeling drowsy in the morning. However, if you tend to wake during the night, this might not be the best choice for you.
Benzodiazepines: These older sleeping pills (Halcion, Restoril, and others) are useful when you want an insomnia medication that stays in your system longer. For instance, they have been effectively used to treat sleep problems such as sleepwalking and night terrors. However, these drugs may cause you to feel sleepy during the day and can also cause dependence, meaning you may always need the drug to sleep.
Antidepressants: Insomnia is a common symptom of depression. Thus, some antidepressant drugs, such as trazodone (Desyrel), are particularly effective in treating sleeplessness and anxiety that's caused by depression.
Over-the-Counter Sleep Aids: Most of these sleeping pills are antihistamines. They generally work well but can cause some drowsiness the next day. They're safe enough to be sold without a prescription. However, if you're taking other drugs that also contain antihistamines -- like cold or allergy medications -- you could inadvertently take too much.
Vanessa: Good point about abusing a med. Even if it's something that doesn't get you "high" it can still be abused.