View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

SS,

I have been in Al Anon for about 14 years. The first 2 years, I went to meetings and listened. I read the steps, thought I could do them myself. I knew life was a mess, I knew of God, and I figured He might help with the big stuff.... I called people once in awhile, I didn't have a sponsor. I absolutely couldn't do a 4th step on myself. Now, I could do my EX's 4th step all day long ! I could tell you everything he did wrong, that's for sure.

I dabbled with Al Anon for a few yrs, doing it that old way. Then my life crashed down around me. Thank GOD I knew where to go. I crawled into an Al Anon meeting and cried. For the next month or so all I did was walk into the meeting, sit down, and cry. And those wonderful people kept telling me Keep Coming Back. And I did. It didn't take me long to get a sponsor and to work a step study with others in recovery. We took our time, each at her own pace. You'll be ready to do Step 4 (and subsequent steps) when you're ready, and not a moment before. As long as you're working on a step, you're moving in the right direction.

Thanks for sharing this step study with me!

Cats