View Single Post
Old 02-04-2008, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
skinnyninja

Excellent stuff here.

Association with sober people in AA can not bring about a personality change sufficient to overcome alcoholism. The power capable of restoring meaning and purpose to our lives can be found only by adopting a spiritual way of life.
I would argue that "adopting a spiritual way of life" is not specific enough, and that for the true alcoholic to recover they must undergo a spiritual experience, one that is characterized by a complete transformation of their personality (from selfish drinking to a genuine interest in other's sobriety) and ALSO a meaningful connection with a higher power. "Spiritual way of life" has too much wiggle room in it for me....

Also, I think there is danger in how we define things. If someone says "I'm an alcoholic," and they manage to get sober without a twelve step program, many die-hard steppers will completely discount this person's alcoholism....stating that they could not possibly be an alcoholic because they did not need AA to get sober. This is ridiculous. We cannot use the AA program to define what an alcoholic is. Alcoholism predates AA by several thousand years. Sometimes the arrogance of those in meetings is overwhelming.

Nonetheless, I still believe AA has tremendous value, simply for the concentrated amount of support it offers and the singleness of purpose. Simply humans helping humans to not drink. Basic support. Fellowship. It all has value.