View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MsPINKAcres
Living in a Pinkful Place

Great stuff - Thanks Cats,

This is an article that I sent to Al-Anon/Alateen's forum - it is in our February 2008 issue -there is an error - says I'm from IOWA when actually I'm from LOUISIANA.
This is exactly how I feel about Step 2 - So very grateful for it, because of working Step 2 I have been given something I never had before - SANITY - what a special blessing.
Wishing you Serenity & Joy,
Rita

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

One of my first couple of Al-Anon meetings was a Step study meeting on Step 2. As I read this step, it occurred to me, how could a Higher Power restore me to something I had never had? Sanity. Growing up in an Alcoholic home, several unhealthy relationships and being married to an alcoholic/addict, I had never lived a sane life. I was separated from my alcoholic husband who had just achieved six months sobriety in AA. Even though he was sober and not living in my household, I was still miserable and insane.

Step 2 gave me hope that I could have a sane life with the help of my Higher Power and the Al-Anon program. Slowly, One Day at a Time, some days one hour at a time, I started the process of recovery. My life has been changed forever. I am happy and sane, no matter what the state of the alcoholics/addicts in my life.

Friends and family members that struggle with the disease of alcoholism/addiction surround me. Some are in recovery and some have not started that journey yet. The best thing I can do for my family and me, is to continue my recovery through prayer to my Higher Power, attending meetings, performing service work and most importantly working the Twelve Steps.