View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sleepygoat

Well, I had lots of experiencing working step one with myself and my own disease of addiction. but when it came to my AD's disease it was another whole process to go through (and still go through on a daily basis sometimes). It wasn't so much that I thought I could stop her from using - for pete's sake, I couldn't even find her! I did spent a lot of time ruminating over how to best try to 'force consequences'. There were many phone calls to the D.A., and the cops in two counties, but nobody really wanted to bother looking for her let alone arresting her for her warrants. If only theywould, then she would be 'forced' into treatment and get clean! I already had experience in my NA program and knew that "making people do their jobs" was a huge no-no for me. My 4th step is full of such resentments and the accompanying unacceptable behaviors that resulted on my part. I could spend my precious few hours between working and sleeping feeling pissed at the 'system' and obsess about it, (and worry about her at the same time) or I could admit I was powerless. do you know It was like torture on a daily basis choosing to let go? Once I did, though, I could then go on to step 2 and ask for help to get thru the day; well honestly, once I did I could have a day.

Many days, (whenever a new crises arises), I have to go thru a little crash couse in step one. Panic, worry, act rashly or consider acting rashly, get nowhere, get honest, admit powerlessness, seek help (that would be God and You guys), surrender, go on with day. Sometimes I get stuck in the first 4 items on this list. Sometimes I realize it faster and get moving on to 'go on with day'. I must say, this process has been greatly enhanced by this forum and all of you!! thank you, thank you, thank you.