View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 03:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks for starting this thread, Cats, I know how difficult it was for me to really work what seemed like such a simple step yet I came to realize that without Step one, I could go no further.

Accepting that I was powerless over my son's addiction didn't come easy to this mom. Oh I KNEW that my life was unmanageable, but I didn't connect that to MY efforts of trying to "fix" him. I blamed it all on his addiction.

Accepting that there was nothing I could do or not do that would change him, that only he could do that for himself when he was ready, was painful. I just wanted our lives back.

I began Step One by reminding myself about 1000 times a day that I was powerless to change him, his behaviour and his addiction.

But I was consoled by the thought that if I worked as hard at fixing myself and learning to live life well, regardless of how he was living his, that my life just might become worth living again. And I began at Step One and surrounding myself with support, and I have never regretted that decision.

Hugs