View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
lightseeker

I'm glad that his return home has gone so smoothly. I also know that Anil is absolutely right about the fight being the addict's fight - not ours. I am the only one that can keep myself sober and RAH is the only one that can keep himself clean. What helps the most is working our own programs. That is where I really began to learn about not taking anyone else's inventory (good or bad) and that the only thing that I have any control over are my own actions. Are you going to Alanon or Naranon? I have had a counselor and also gone to couples counselling but the anon groups have been incredibly important for me. Counselors are not available 24/7 like my friends in recovery.

The early days of recovery are hopeful and also nerve racking. As time went on I was able to begin to relax. The first year was hard because I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop and things to go bad. I/we made it through that and are on year 2+ now. It does get better but I still need recovery as much today as I did in the beginning.

Enjoy this good time and try to keep on taking good care of you!

Love, Donna