View Single Post
Old 01-20-2008, 11:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
KayM

in all honesty...

While reading here, I realized I need to list one important ingredient in the recipe that is ME: another reason 12 step programs where HIGHLY difficult for me is that I'm an atheist. I was constantly told that it didn't have to be God who was my "higher power," but I'm not much good at the "letting go" part of the philosopy -- I feel responsible for my own self, and don't think there's any power OTHER than myself that is responsible for me.

So, as I read lots of the "here's how I did it" emails, I feel a bit like I'm banging my head against a wall when I read, "Asking God to [insert need here] helps." I can't. I have nothing to ask. If something's going to "take something away" from me, as a worry, I have to find a way to do that myself.

Please, no attempts to help me find Jesus. I found him once -- I think he was probably a great guy. But religion and higher powers just really don't fit with me.

I would, however, love to hear from other atheists about what THEY "use" as their "higher power." Maybe if I could get a good handle on that, that worked for me, I could partake successfully of Nar-anon.

Last edited by KayM; 01-20-2008 at 11:58 AM.