View Single Post
Old 01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ccirider

Originally Posted by ccirider
I don't think that I am expanding the definition at all. I am merely making a distinction between believing and worshipping. People can believe in the existence of a God and choose not to worship that God, such as deists do. Similarly, some people can engage in self-worship while at the same time deny that they are doing anything of the sort. They have become gods, de facto, yet they deny the existence of any gods. I am not saying that you are worshipping yourself. I am just saying that it is possible for one to do so and deny it.
Originally Posted by KariSue
Hi ccirider, Hmmm, I'm wondering if you think most atheists worship themselves because they don't believe in a deity. That is an interesting concept that never ever even occurred to me. Is that what you mean?
I don't believe that I ever said that most atheists worship themselves. I said, "I am not suggesting that ALL atheists deify themselves, but I think it's safe to say that some (meaning 1 or more) do, just like some theists deify themselves." Perhaps, if I were to post a verse from the Quran, that might help you understand what I believe.

43. Do you not see the one who has taken his own passion (or impulse) as his god? Are you going to be a guardian (disposer of his affairs) for him? (Surah 25, Verse 43)

Anything can be an object of worship, so why can't someone's passion be that object of worship? Does not an addict, in the latter stages of his addiction, treat his passion like an object of worship? He obsesses over it, and compulsively acts it out as if he is performing a daily ritual. I would say that is a form of worship, just like idol worship or hero worship is a form of worship.

The point I was making is that believing and worshipping are two different things. As I said, one can believe in the existence of a god and choose not to worship that god, as deists do. Similarly, an atheist addict can worship his passion, while at the same time deny that he is doing so. Most addicts deny that they are addicts, anyway, so what is another denial among many? I am not here to bash atheist addicts, since many theist addicts are in denial that they are worshipping their passion, also. As a matter of fact, I am not here to bash addicts, theists or atheists, since I once had a drinking and drugging problem myself.

Islam worked for me to get sober, but it's not everybody. As the last part of that verse said, "Are you going to be a guardian (disposer of his affairs) for him?" I am not brothers keeper, nor am I a babysitter/guardian over him. I can't fix people or make them face their problems. Actions have consequences and people need to suffer the consequences of their own actions without me enabling them.