View Single Post
Old 01-17-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Majamama

Couples in recovery

My husband and I are both alcoholics. After he had a very self destructive binge this passed weekend I decided to really take a good luck at him, myself, our relationship and our lives. I said to him, "let's kick it together." We have entertained the idea before. We spent a lot of time in marriage counseling and individual counseling - him for anger, me for anxiety. Our counselor always urged us to go check out some meetings. She always reminded us that fears and pain can't be alleviated with alcohol.
On Sunday night we each attended a meeting. I am really serious, I don't want to deal with the fallout from binge drinking anymore. I don't want alcohol as my crutch anymore. I tried to go to another meeting on Tuesday when my husband got home from work and got lost looking for the location.

My concern is that my husband hasn't looked at the meeting book. He hasn't done any online research. I even mapquested the only meeting that he went to for him. I think he feels that because he only drinks on the weekends that during the week he doesn't have to enlist any support. I feel that during the week is the time to build yourself up and gain some resolve to prevent a weekend relapse. I am not going to push or nag, just focus on my own recover, but I am really worried that he is not going to follow through. Should I push him? I have already told him that I don't want to do it alone. Besides, his really endanged himself with this last drinking episode.

Majamama...