View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
KariSue

I don't think that I am expanding the definition at all. I am merely making a distinction between believing and worshipping. People can believe in the existence of a God and choose not to worship that God, such as deists do. Similarly, some people can engage in self-worship while at the same time deny that they are doing anything of the sort. They have become gods, de facto, yet they deny the existence of any gods. I am not saying that you are worshipping yourself. I am just saying that it is possible for one to do so and deny it.[/QUOTE]

Hi ccirider, Hmmm, I'm wondering if you think most atheists worship themselves because they don't believe in a deity. That is an interesting concept that never ever even occurred to me. Is that what you mean? If so, I can only speak for myself of course, but I feel like I just AM. I don't feel like I worship anything at all. The way I look at it is that instead of concentrating on "something up there" I concentrate on people helping people. How we got here or where we are going (if anywhere) after we die are both unknowns. If I need help with something I focus on other people for my inspiration/help. That sort of thing. People helping people rather than a HP helping.

KariSue