View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Music

Not losing everything is good. My wife drank for 3 years, and I drank for about 16 years. I was in the military. I didn't lose anything compared to some but like you mentioned, I hurt more people than I care to think about. My family mostly.

Just because I didn't lose everything doesn't mean I don't qualify for sobriety. Just because I didn't lose everything doesn't mean I don't deserve to be sober. I don't have to go back out and improve my story just to impress people. This isn't a contest. It's life or death. I, like some other folks I know, fell into the trap of comparing my record to others. I'd suggest to you, as was suggested to me to stress identifying similarities and not differences when at a meeting or talking to other drunks.

As far as your sponsor is concerned, you need to talk to him and let him know what you're thinking and feeling. He might have just mis-spoke. At any rate, the point is, my wife and I have a combined total of 63 years sober and you can stay sober too. Sometimes I just have to be a little thicker skinned and not be so sensitive about what others say. I don't know of anywhere in the Big Book where it says that we have to have consumed a certain number of gallons, gotten DUIs, or have been divorced and lost our kids in order to qualify. I just need a desire to stop drinking.