View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sonny McB

Originally Posted by Jersey Nonny View Post
Total abstinence is indeed the answer...my question to those who have recommended it: How were you able to do it? I'm sure Jamsil would appreciate any suggestions.
It isn't easy. Everyone here knows this.

For me, it is important to keep the future in mind. Is one night of drinking really worth it for misery the next, accompanied by another weak of anxiety until my next drink? Is it worth it to throw away my ability to learn and remember things? Do I really want to deplete my body of nutrients that keep me healthy and feeling good? Do I want to continue feeling symptoms of depression? And so on...

I went to a party last night and reminded myself of all those things when I needed to. I thought to myself, "well, just one or 2 won't hurt". But I know it doesn't work that way. 1 soon turns into 10. Then I reminded myself that drinking is fake and a lie and that I will never get better if I continue. I enjoyed myself and had a good time. I did not drink and undoubtedly had far more meaningful conversations than I normally would have. I was able to wake up today at 8am and go running. I feel excellent today. Was it worth it not to drink? F U C K YES. haha With all honesty, right after I first stopped drinking it was a lot harder to go out and have a good time. It got harder before it got better. That's beginning to change though the longer I go.

Wouldn't it be great to go through life making nothing but wise decisions? Now realistically I know that's not always possible. However, this is one case where you do have the power to assess your situation and make the correct choice.

Don't lose focus.