View Single Post
Old 12-25-2007, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
prodigal

Welcome, Tink, glad you found us. Please direct your attention to the stickies at the top of our board. There is a wealth of information on alcoholism and codependency for you to read. I don't know if you've been reading any of our threads here, but that might be helpful as well.

Christmas. A time of year when the A's ("alcoholics") go bonkers and the codies (codependents - namely, us!) start fussing at them for drinking. We discuss the issue with them. We fret. We worry. We keep looking at the bottle(s) to compute how much they consumed. We ignore them. They ignore us. We yell. They yell.

They keep drinking.

You could move heaven and earth and it would NOT stop his drinking. So now what do you do? Find Al-Anon meetings in your area. Try six meetings to see if it helps you. We're here to help and support you in any way we can. We can't help or support him because he is not asking for it. From you, from us, from his Higher Power, or anyone else.

You're going to meet an awesome group of people here. I've been hanging around on this board for almost four years. Yeah I'm still a codie, but I thank every person on this board, and God who somehow got me here, for support, understanding, and love.

Another suggestion: pick up a copy of Melodie Beattie's "Codependent No More." I believe there are more reading suggestions in the stickies section. Again, welcome.