Thread: A Question
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

(((Marle))))

Just my experience....I wouldn't talk to my dad for months at a time. Basically because I was too ashamed of what I was doing and how it was hurting him. He would drive the 1-1/2 hrs to the town I lived in, track me down on the streets, and we'd get something for lunch and go to the park and eat.

He did tell me how he hated seeing me do this to myself and how I was deserved a better life, but mostly we just talked about what was going on with my family. Although it was really hard seeing how bad I was hurting him, I truly treasure the fact that he never gave up on me.

As long as you are comfortable talking to her, you're not doing anything for her that she could do for herself (which is what enabling is to me), then I think it's fine. My talks with my dad did absolutely nothing to prolong or stop my active use....it was a total inside job for me. Personally, I think it's great that you 2 talk and I see it as a positive thing.

No matter how bad we A's are into our addiction, we need to know our parents still love us because we sure don't love ourselves.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy