Thread: A Question
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2007, 11:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Spiritual Seeker
get it, give it, grow in it

There is nothing new to tell her bec she know exactly what you would like her to do. She knows your "you should...."
For a long time I talked about recovery + treatment every time I talked to my son until he just avoided me bec he didn't want to hear it and didn't want to do it. Once I stopped talking about it he eventually called and came around to see me. I want a relationship with him no matter his condition. I don't see having communication + relationship as enabling.
Now we can talk about it bec he started weekly sessions with a therapist and I agreed to pay for it.
Marle, I think that it is wonderful that you are communicating once again with your daughter.
For me I am learning to talk to him w/o trying to control him or the outcome of the conversation. Beyond his addiction he is a smart, funny young man who is fun to be with. I am trying real hard to see some of his positive traits.
I truly believe our children will seek recovery. Because I am in recovery I am trying real hard to show him with attraction not promotion.